In 2019, we released a list of five low-cost ways to keep warm during the winter and we thought it was time to reassess the subject and add a few more tips to the list. We are always looking for ways to save you money and keep you comfortable. Let’s start by taking a look at our five suggestions from last time.
- Keep the heat you have purchased indoors.
- Replace your filter.
- Clean and maintain your heating system.
- Test your CO detector.
- Get regular checkups (twice a year) to keep the system operating efficiently and to prevent costly repairs.
More Ways to Keep Warm All Winter Long
This is just a picture of a cute dog in a sweater because it is sure to warm the heart. 😉
- Purchase a smart thermostat. We recommend smart thermostats for all of our clients. With a smart thermostat, you are able to create temperature settings based on daily schedules, weather conditions, home zones, heating and cooling needs, and more. Smart thermostats have the ability to learn a household’s pattern and adjust heating and cooling according to when you are home or away. This can help keep you and your family comfortable as well as save you money on your energy bill.
- Keep your vents open in every room. Closing vents in rooms that are not used often may seem like a good way to save money but it actually makes your home feel colder and your system work harder. Learn more about how this works here.
- Make sure furniture is not covering HVAC registers. If you have a couch, chair, or rug over your ventilation ducts, it prevents your home from getting heated properly.
- Change the direction of your ceiling fan. In the summer, your fan should be counterclockwise to help create a downdraft. Your fan direction in the winter needs to be clockwise to create an updraft and circulate warm air around the room. Learn more at HunterFan.com.
- Open curtains during the day. Having heavy curtains for the cold months is a great idea, however, remember to open them during daylight hours and the sun will help heat things up. Don’t forget to close them at night to keep the warmth in.
Lastly, do not forget to sign up for the Peace of Mind Membership Plan that is right for you and your budget! We look for little things going wrong now, to prevent big failure later. Give us a call at 919-336-9705 and we can discuss what would be best for you and your system.