Purchasing a new home is one of the biggest financial decisions you will make and with summer just around the corner, the real estate market, like the weather, is hot, hot, hot!
When you are searching for a home, it is easy to get caught up in all the excitement and you may forget to ask questions that could lead to bigger financial strains in the long run. Here are a few of the questions we recommend you ask.
Remember to Ask…
- What type of system does the house have? Does the home have central air? What about forced heat? Are there separate heating and AC units? If the home is more than one story, are there separate units for each?
- What is the power source? Is the heating unit electric or fuel? Natural gas or propane? Will you need to purchase heating oil? Does the home have a geothermal system? Knowing the power source helps you plan for operating the system.
- How old is the HVAC system? In general, units have a lifespan of 10 to 15 years. If your system is older, you will want to factor in the possibility of needing to replace it in the near future.
- What are the average monthly heating/cooling costs? Seeing the monthly heating and cooling bill may alert you to issues with the system. It will also give you an idea of how much you will need to budget for this.
- What is the maintenance history of the unit? You want to know if the unit has been taken care of by the owners. Did they do regular upkeep and maintenance? The last time it was serviced, were there any problems reported?
- Is the home well-insulated? Insulation isn’t considered a part of the HVAC system, but it does play an important role in helping the system operate efficiently. If the home lacks insulation, the HVAC system has to run more often to heat or cool the house properly.
- Is there an HVAC warranty that transfers when ownership transfers? Many times, there are warranties on HVAC systems. You will need to find out what the warranty is and if it transfers to a new owner. **We are not referring to a “Home Warranty” in this situation. This would be a true HVAC warranty from a specific HVAC company.
Once You Have Purchased the Home, It’s Time to Set Up Your Own Warranty…
That is where we come in. Convenience and comfort are what we are all about. Join the Peace of Mind Membership Plan that works for you to keep your HVAC running smoothly all year long. We offer three plans to fit every budget and need. Call us at 919-755-1957 and we can discuss what would work best for you.
- Let’s Chat! - June 27, 2022
- Another Tower Team Member Has Earned Their North Carolina HVAC License - June 27, 2022
- Why You Should Invest in Our Peace of Mind Membership Plan Before Summer - May 12, 2022