In the News: Carbon Monoxide Leaks in Durham
Early this year, NBC News did an article on carbon monoxide leaks in Durham.
Sequena Pettiford knew something wasn’t right last week with Keyra, her 12-year-old daughter.
Keyra had a bad headache that wouldn’t go away. She had no appetite and felt so dizzy that her older brother had to walk her to her bedroom. The next morning, Keyra later recalled, “I started getting really cold, and I lay down — I felt like I was going back to sleep, but I wasn’t.”
A few days earlier, firefighters had gone door to door throughout McDougald Terrace warning residents about the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning. Local officials had become concerned after they have received several calls involving residents exposed to the toxic gas, including a one-year-old child.
When Sequence took Keyra to the ER, doctors determined that she had an elevated level of carbon monoxide in her blood, as well as a respiratory infection.
At least 15 people in McDougald Terrace have been identified as having elevated carbon monoxide levels since November 2019. This situation has alarmed public health advocates and lawmakers who have been pushing the Department of Housing and Urban Development to require carbon monoxide detectors in public housing.
You can learn more about the leaks at NBCNews.com.
We Are Not Trying to Scare You…
We are not trying to scare you by sharing this article with you. At Tower Heating and Air, we just want to do everything we can to keep you and your family safe. If you are a Peace of Mind Membership Plan member at any level and do not have a carbon monoxide detector, we have extended our $10 purchase special to January 31, 2020 – normally priced at $50, plus tax. Not a Peace of Mind member but want to purchase a carbon monoxide detector? Purchase one from us for just $39.95 in January. At Tower Heating and Air, we think of our customers as family. We don’t want to lose your business… or you! If you have a furnace, fireplace, or gas logs, it is especially important that you have a working carbon monoxide detector. Every time we install a furnace, we make sure you have a detector on every floor of your home.
What is a Carbon Monoxide Detector?
A carbon monoxide detector or CO detector is a device that detects the presence of carbon monoxide (CO) gas. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless, and odorless gas that is slightly less dense than air. It is produced from the burning of carbon-based substances. Carbon-based substances include wood, paper, coal, cloth, etc. Natural gas also contains carbon.
CO is poisonous because when you breathe it into your lungs, it binds to your red blood cells and prevents those cells from carrying O2 to your organs.
As we said, CO is invisible and does not give off a smell. That is why it is extremely important to have a CO detector if you have a furnace, fireplace, or gas logs.
How to Become a Peace of Mind Membership Plan Member
Join the Peace of Mind Membership Plan that works for you to keep your HVAC running smoothly all year long. Not sure which plan to choose? Give us a call at (919) 755-1957 and we can discuss what would work best with your budget and needs.
With our Peace of Mind Membership Plans, we look for little things to go wrong now, to prevent big failure later.
Now is the perfect time to sign up so you can purchase your carbon monoxide detector for just $10 in January.
- Four Reasons Your AC Is Blowing Out Hot Air - March 15, 2023
- We Provide Comfort at Every Level - March 15, 2023
- Spring Cleaning Should Apply to Your HVAC Unit Too! - February 23, 2023